Re: browsing icons in gnome

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 14:25:42 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 09:04:57 -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>
>> So, I set up a custom application launcher and then went to assign an
>> icon to it. But, the icon browser shows all of the /usr/share/icons
>> subdirectories as empty even though I can go there in a shell and show
>> that there are a ton of icons there.
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed this broken behaviour?
>
> Not in lenny :-?
>
> Can you browse "/usr/share/icons" using Nautilus and see/open the files
> or subfolder in there?
>
> When you want to change the icon of a shorcut the showed window shell
> explorer is the same as Nautilus so it should not present any problem.

Additional info...

You can always manually change the ".desktop" file and define the path to
the preferred icon by adding the "Icon" stanza, i.e.:

***
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=MyAPP
Type=Application
Terminal=true
Icon[es_ES]=gnome-panel-launcher
Exec=/my/app.sh
Name[es_ES]=MyAPP
Icon=/usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/emblems/emblem-system.svg <<-- here
GenericName[es_ES]=
***

Greetings,

--