Re: Backup home directory

Alex PADOLY:

> Do you know a method to do a compressed image of home directory.

Well, if your /home is not a separate filesystem, you cannot really
generate an "image". But what about the following?

# tar cvzf /backup/home-$(date '+%F').tar.gz /home

For a more advanced backup solution, look at rsnapshot.

If it is a separate ext[23] filesystem, you can use the package 'dump'.
Or just dd. Or partimage. Or rsnapshot for LVM volumes. As you see,
there are various approaches to your task. You just need to specify what
you actually want to achieve and then we may be able to give a more
specific hint.

J.
--
In an ideal world I would cure poverty and go to the gym at least three
days a week.