Re: Captured Video Not Producing Sound on Some Systems

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 04:22:24PM -0700, Scarletdown wrote:
> I presume that having the right libraries would get it to play on the
> Deb box.  However, that would still leave the underlying problem in
> place.  These videos should be playable on any system that can play
> YouTube videos.  It seems to me that the ideal method would be to
> troubleshoot the video files without installing any new libraries on
> the computer being used to do the trouble shooting.  I figure that
> once the files are fixed to where this one can play them, then they
> should work on pretty much any system.  Or is your sage quote about
> the libraries indicating that this system would actually be able to
> then encode the files properly so that they are playable on any other
> system?

That's a tall order for video codecs.  The only one I can think of off
the top of my head that *most* systems will play by default is MPEG1.
There are probably others, but many many formats require something
additional to be installed.  Windows users often get these installed by
blindly clicking "yes, I agree, next, next, finish".  Videos require
codecs, and different operating systems install different codecs by
default.

When circulating videos, I usually tend to put them in Ogg Theora and
tell everybody to install VLC or watch it in the latest Firefox (Chrome
works too, I think).

-Rob