Re: Captured Video Not Producing Sound on Some Systems

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 02:17:01AM -0700, Scarletdown wrote:
> I'm having some problems with videos I have made from an external USB
> capture device.  One Linux machine I am testing on fails to play the
> music from the videos.  Instead, I get a bunch of high pitched static.
>
> The captures were done on a Windows machine with WinDVR (it's highly
> doubtful that this capture device has any *NIX drivers), which
> defaults to mpeg video and mp2 audio apparently, with no obvious way
> to save to any other format.
>
> Here is one of the videos I made:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5XJYgfQk5I
>
> It plays fine on the 2 Windows boxes I tested it on, as well as on one
> Debian box.  However, the other Debian box (and the Wii via the
> Internet channel) fail to play the sound.  I'm sure the problem is in
> the file itself and not the machines that it failed on, but I have no
> idea where to begin troubleshooting,
>
> I tried running the files through AVIDemux in an attempt to change the
> sound encoding to another format, but that gave the same results;
> garbled sound on the systems that were having trouble before.
>
> Could someone here perhaps download the file I posted and check it out
> to figure out why it does not work like it should?  Will it be
> possible to convert it to a format that works?  I really don't want to
> try to redo the above performance.

I downloaded the file, and ffmpeg tells me it's h264 video and libfaad
audio.  Perhaps youtube converted it when you uploaded?

Anyway, it plays fine on my Lenny amd64 system using mplayer from
www.debian-multimedia.org.  But it does not play at all in VLC or Totem.

One thing I do notice is that all the music is coming from the right
speaker.  The left speaker just has some low-volume noise.

Use avidemux to make a short clip of the video (about 5 MB), and email
it to me.  I'll do some testing on the file with its original encoding
over the weekend.

-Rob