Re: ping packet loss when size gt 1500

owens@netptc.net on 17/10/10 16:30, wrote:
I thought I knew enough to keep my own home LAN going but I'm stuck
on this one
and I can't work out what to do next. In fact I thought everything
was fine
until I tried pinging with big packet sizes.

ping -s 1472 www.bbc.co.uk
ping -s 1472 208.245.107.9

works fine, no packet loss ever.

ping -s 1473 www.bbc.co.uk

works fine too.

ping -s 1473 208.245.107.9

results in 100% packet loss.

I have a bizarre problem with the server at 208.245.107.9, which is
an internet
broker whose server keeps disconnecting when making data requests.
Their support
is blaming the problem on me.

208.245.107.9 is used by a huge number of clients and I apparently
am the only
one suffering.

Could it be something on my LAN? Or could it be my ISP (British
Telecom) whose
DNS server will randomly go down for a while and then come back (not
in sync
with the appearance of this problem though) - I thought I'd state
that to give
an idea of the ISP's reliability.

Or is this ping problem definitely something I can sort out and
perhaps solve it?

Just a guess but I would hypothesize that you have bumped up against
a Maximum Transmission Unit limit.

Thanks for all the info. I guess it tells me there's nothing definitely wrong.

Adam