Fwd: Canon Support Centre - Ref # 00066023

I have a Canon LBP7200Cdn printer (d = duplex, n = network).  Canon
advertise on their web site that this printer works on Debian and Red
Hat Linux, and they provide drivers for CUPS and some source code.
However, I have not been to make this printer work on either Debian or
PC-BSD, and I have not heard of anyone else being able to get it to
work as a network printer on any Linux/Unix system.  It works OK
through Windows (maybe it can be set up as a Samba share, but I doubt
it).  The source software does not compile on PC-BSD.  I have not
tried a USB connection.  The problem seems to be related to the Canon
CAPT printer language and the need to translate from postscript (Canon
`pstocapt3` program failed with a segmentation fault in one
experiment).

Canon support have now confirmed that the printer will not work with
Linux, in spite of them providing some drivers purporting to work with
Linux (Debian and Red Hat) (see below).  This same software seems to
be provided for all of the Canon LBPxxxx series printers.

Cheers to all,
Rob Hurle