Re: question/answer website for user support: shapado.debian.net

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 11:24, Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> Dear followers of the -user mailing list,
>  you might be interesting in knowing that since yesterday there's a new
> Debian experiment ongoing in the area of user support:
>
>  http://shapado.debian.net/
>
> which is a multi-language question/answer website where participants can
> ask questions, answer questions, and rank answers given by others.  I'm

When reading this, I thought the reason you were not instead promoting
unix.stackexchange.com was because it's a non-free web service. But
visitng http://shapado.debian.net/ indicated that they both use the
same engine. Ubuntu folk decided to do the same thing with
http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/, and there were similar complaints
about such factionalism. Seriously, much of how Debian works is how
other Unix-like systems work, and it happens for example, that some
useful info is lost because of this needless replication.

Here's a good example of my point:

* http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/767/what-is-the-real-difference-between-apt-get-and-aptitude-how-about-wajig
* http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/questions/4719/what-are-benefits-of-aptitude-compared-to-apt-get
* http://shapado.debian.net/questions/the-debian-administration-recommanded-program-apt-or-aptitude

You will notice that this is basically the same question. Now, what
are good reasons for having a Debian-only StackOverflow clone? I'd
understand if the clone was non-free, but even then, all data is
released under Creative Commons.

--
blog: http://tshepang.tumblr.com