Re: iomega 2TB external USB drive

On Friday 10 September 2010 10:46:53 John Lindsay wrote:
> Lisi wrote:
> > On Friday 10 September 2010 03:45:35 John Lindsay wrote:
> > Lisi
>
> Hi Lisa

Hi, John,

As you will see, my name is Lisi not Lisa.

> How do you turn it on?

<quote from me in this thread>
I have avoided saying anything so far as I don't know about Gnome, only KDE
3.x.x.

But in KDE this would almost certainly be because of how the Desktop is
configured - show the relevant icon or not show it.  (configure desktop ->
Behaviour -> device icons)

Debian and Mint may have different defaults from each other.

We have already established that Debian does "see" the drive - it just doesn't
put an icon on the desktop.  Presumably Gnome too has the capability.  You
just need to find it.
</quote>

<quote from Camaleón in this thread>
But I have setup GNOME to behave that way (g-conf editor → apps/nautilus/
desktop/volumes_visible [ ]). To enable, just select [x] that option and
Volumes will show in desktop.
</quote>

You do not say which desktop you are using, but it is likely to be Gnome as
that is the Lenny default.

If it is not, you need to say.  But if it is Gnome or KDE, you have already
been told what to do, but have ignored it.  Whatever desktop you are using,
it is likely to be a question of whether the icon is turned on or off, and
only you can find it on your system to check.

You can't expect to be given alternatives if you have still not tried what has
already been suggested.

Check whether Lenny turns the icon off by default, when some other distros
have it on by default.  If so, turn it on.

Lisi