Re: iomega 2TB external USB drive

[Please reply to the list, and not to me personally, as per the CoC.]

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 10:21:38 -0400
John Lindsay <jclind@sentex.net> wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
> > On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 22:22:04 -0400
> > John Lindsay <jclind@sentex.net> wrote:
> >

> >> I just picked up an Iomega 2TB external USB drive. It is formatted NTSF.
> >> When plugged into my Win7 pc it is seen however it does not show up on
> >> screen under Debian (lenny). Is this drive supported? How can I get it
> >> seen by debian?
> >>

> > You need to explain what you mean by "show up on screen".  What does
> > dmesg / syslog say?
> >
> > Celejar
> >
> Hi Celejar and Boyd
>
> I used synaptic to search for ntsf and installed it as it was unmarked.
> I am using gnome as a desktop.
>
> Celejar -- here is my dmesg --  first time I have used this -- I am
> making the assumption that the latest info is at the bottom of the list

Correct.

> -- it looks like it is attached but I see no icon like I do when I plug
> in a memory stick. It does not show up when I click on 'computer' under
> places.

I don't know anything about the desktop icons and such.  You should try
to mount it from the CLI, with something like (as root)
'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt' and see what happens.  If it doesn't work,
report the error messages and syslog / dmesg.