Re: how to locate files on my computer

Neal Hogan wrote:
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM, tom<tompoe@meltel.net>  wrote:
On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 19:44 -0500, Neal Hogan wrote:
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM, tom<tompoe@meltel.net>  wrote:
I thought using the command: $ locate<named files>    would work, but
nothing happens, even if I su to root.  Any help appreciated.
Tom
man find(1)
That command doesn't appear to search my file system and report all
files containing the word.  Maybe there's a way to put the utility
locate on lenny?
man find! Did you look at the manpage . . . the man page for 'find'?
Personally, I prefer locate - usually takes less time, at the expense of having to run the indexing job regularly.

Re. the original question:

apt-get install locate
does the job just find, and (I think) sets up a cron job to run updatedb regularly

locate will NOT find a file that's been created between database runs, and will find files that have been deleted between database runs

Miles Fidelman