Configuration for a Linux router with a client having a public address

Given linux router dalton, eth 3, connected to a local machine
carnot, eth0, with a cross-over cable, I need some help to set
the configurations properly.

#dalton:/etc/network/interfaces
iface eth3 inet static
	address 172.24.2.1
	up   route add -host 142.103.107.138
	down route del -host 142.103.107.138

#carnot:/etc/network/interfaces
iface eth0 inet static
	address 142.103.107.138
	gateway 172.24.2.1

Obviously these specifications are deficient; but there
is no point in fretting details until I understand the
concepts.  The link must be in a network.  How can
172.24.2.1 and 142.103.107.138 be in one network?  Does
carnot need a local address along with its public address?

Incidental points.

http://www.linuxrouter.org/ appears to be defunct although
many links to it exist.  At least one in tldp.org.

root@dalton:~# /etc/init.d/networking restart
Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable a
gain some interfaces ... (warning).

So "networking restart" deprecated.  What is the "new way"?

Thanks,              ... Peter E.

--
VoIP 7785886232 is gone.  Please use 13604502132.
Sparcstation 2 netboots netbsd; installation pending.