Re: dist-upgrade to testing killed dual-monitors

On 06/04/2010 05:56 PM, Mitchell Laks wrote:
On 20:17 Fri 04 Jun     , Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-06-04 20:09 +0200, Mitchell Laks wrote:

another option is to ban the entire new nouveau driver from your system
which should restore some sanity.
Except that kent got a black display without it.

it will get rid of the framebuffer use/

here is one thing to try.

add the following line to the file

/etc/modpobe.d/blacklist.conf

blacklist nouveau
Note that this is not sufficient with the latest xserver-xorg-core, you
also need to specify a video driver in xorg.conf lest X will cause the
module to be loaded.  Or remove the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package.
You are right I had done that too!

I needed to ban nouveau from the kernel, otherwise I could not compile my binary Nvidia drivers...

Mitchell

Sven

I blacklisted the nouveau driver, but left the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package installed.

There's simply something hokey about this monitor and Testing/Sid. All I get is a black screen when I boot into a console or exit from X to a console. However, if I type blindly and login and "startx", I get a usable screen on one monitor only (the second monitor stays dark).

So now I have two issues:

1) in console, this monitor stays black or only displays about a 1/4s worth of screen real estate

2) I no longer have dual-monitors.

I'd be happy to file a bug, but I don't know if this would be against the nouveau package (which as far as I can tell focuses on X drivers, not console drivers where the first problem is), or against the grub2 package which seems to have something to do with setting the console resolution, or the kernel, or what.

I can live with rebuilding my box back to stable (at the cost of losing the ability to print to my printer), but if I don't file a bug report, how many other people will this problem bite?

Thanks for any suggestions!

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com