Re: It looks as if OpenOffice is sick. Was: Looking for a .fodt validator

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 19:08:55 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 17:04:02 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>>> iceweasel just reads the XML file and shows it to me in a nice
>>> indented tree format.  It's good to know I have such a tool.  But it
>>> finds no errors.  Persumably, therefore, my XML is OK but I've
>>> violated the .fodt schema, or hit a bug in OpenOffice Writer.
>>
>> That indicates the XML syntax of your file is valid, but yes, OOo is
>> maybe crashing because cannot interpret the syntax. Launch OOo writer
>> and load that fodt file from command line to see the output errors.
>>
>> Greetings,
>
> Thanks.  With my newfound iceweasel, I decided to use OpenOffice to make
> an .fodt file to compare with my own.
>
> I wrote a page with a footer containing a page number.  I had no trouble
> saving it as an .odt file, but OpenOffice 3.0 crashed when I tried to
> save it as .fodt.  So it looks as if .fodt support in OpenOffice is
> totally fried.
>
> Not only that, but after it crashed while saving the .fodt file, it
> son't come up again at all.  I don't even get to the "sorry I crashed,
> would you like me to recover what you ewre doning?" dialogue.
>
> Presumably there's some hostory file in a dot directory I need to delete
> so as to get OpenOffice to work again.
>
> I really hadn't expected something this straigntforward to fail!
>
> Now I need another word processor that *does* handle .fodt.  Or figure
> out how to install an obsolete OpenOffice into my squeeze system.  Or
> change the code I've written to make a whole lot of files into a
> temporary directory and zip them...

At this point mv .openoffice.org hide.openoffice.org doesn't help either.

After I moved the dotfile, I tried to start openoffice writer again.  It
created a new .openoffice.org directory, but it still won't come up and
give me a window to edit documents in.

-- hendrik