Re: I cannot write file onto samba share

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 03:43:03PM +0200, Andrea Ganduglia wrote:
> I cannot figured out what happening. I have a smbfs mount through I
> share a network disk. On this, I can create files or directories, but
> I cannot write any file. In other words:
>
> WORKS
> root@svista:~# mkdir -v /mnt/usb-modem/foo
> mkdir: created directory `/mnt/usb-modem/foo'
>
> WORKS
> root@svista:~# touch /mnt/usb-modem/bar
> root@svista:~# ll /mnt/usb-modem/
> total 0
> -rwxrwxrwx 1 alibi alibi 0 2010-06-03 15:36 bar
> drwxrwxrwx 2 alibi alibi 0 2009-06-15 18:30 foo
>
> DOESN'T WORK
> root@svista:~# date > /mnt/usb-modem/readme.txt
> -su: /mnt/usb-modem/readme.txt: Permission denied
>
> Can you help me?

You could try experimenting with the different mask parameters in
smb.conf.

man smb.conf and search for "mask".  I would think that the defaults
should be fine, but maybe not.  I haven't used samba in while.

Or is this a share on a Windows machine that you're accessing through
your Debian box?

-Rob