Re: ls has stopped using the ISO date format

On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:07:54 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Lu, 31 mai 10, 06:39:15, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> And that is precisely the gain of the ISO date format over the rest of
>> the other alternatives: nodoby has to ask -or guess- "what your locale
>> is" in order to correctly interpret the date you are showing because is
>> always fixed ("year-month-day" notation).
>
> Sorry, but I mean, if I'm an ignorant about date formats (which many
> computer users are), but happen to know that computers often use some
> format where month comes before day (american style) it is not at all
> obvious.

Yes, I'm (being in a European country) in your same boat. Some of us use
day-month-year format, but other countries have their own way to put the
date and is confusing enough.

Worst is that, inside my company, there are people still using just two
digits for the year, something like "31/05/10" (it reads 31st May, 2010).
Woow, sir, for sure is confusing (I ask them, "hey, what will happen in
year 3010? >:-)") and that is the reason I prefer to use a standardized
format even does not match the usual form I was used to.

Besides, I also tend to name the files and folders as
"2010-05-31_filename" and so on, they keep my mind (and my computer) in a
very well organized fit :-)

> And there is nothing to guess about dd mmm yyyy, worst case I just don't
> understand the mmm string because it's in the wrong language.

That is what I hate those fancy representations of date in the manner of
"31st May, 2010". Numbers are "universal" (no translation needed) and
pretty much easier and quicker to read than any other word written in
English, Spanish or Romanian :-)

But DD-MM-YYYY format does not match for any logical point of view (maybe
it has for a human POV but humans lack logic). "Year" has to come first
because is more important value than the day. When you take a wide
timeframe, you find that "day" becomes useless.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón