Re: ls has stopped using the ISO date format

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 02:52:52AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun,30.May.10, 16:21:26, Brian Marshall wrote:
> > On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 01:51:14AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > > -rwx------ 1 amp amp 891837 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010065.jpg
> > > -rwx------ 1 amp amp 733361 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010066.jpg
> > >
> > > Can you tell if these files were created 5th march or 3rd may? How (I'd
> > > really like to know)?
> >
> > I've never heard of a yyyy-dd-mm format. All the other formats usually
> > put the year at the end, and if they don't, they're probably using
> > slashes or something else instead of hyphens. That's sufficient to
> > distinguish the ISO format from the rest, I think.
>
> Sure, but I can't tell for sure unless I read strftime(3) or so...
> For me dd mmm yyyy is very clear, but I don't like the suppressing of
> the current year either :(

I see what you mean. Any date format that only uses numbers risks
confusing the user about which number is the month and which is the day.
The point of using an international standard for dates is to avoid that
confusion, but "May 30 2010" is clear as long as you understand "May",
so I guess it's a moot point in this case.

Brian