Re: file transfer from removable flash memory: time stamps and case

Daniel Barclay wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> When I copy files from a flash memory (inserted in a USB card reader) to
>> my Testing desktop, I notice that the filenames are upper case and the
>> time stamp of the transferred files is the time they were transferred
>> and not when they were originally created.
>>
>> How do I avoid these and get lower case filenames and original
>> timestamps? The flash memories are all vfat.
>
> 1. Add the option "shortname=winnt" (or maybe some other "shortname="
>    values (see the manual page for the "mount" command)) to your mount
>    options (in /etc/fstab, your command line, or whatever on your system
>    mounts the filesystem on the flash memory).

Okay, I will try to search how this option is related to KDE.

> 2. If you're using the "cp" command to copy, consider the "-p" or "-a"
>    options.  Since you're probably dragging and dropping in a file
>    manager, you'll have to find that file manager's equivalent of
>    cp's -p and/or -a.

Yes, I am using Dolphin for the drag and drop. If I can't find the
equivalent of "-p" or "-a" of cp commands in Dolphin, I think using cp
on cli might be the next option.

Thanks.

ever having been read.