USB flash drive: permissions, etc.

I can no longer read or write or even unmounted  a USB flash drive.

Something happened during the last two weeks. I am using squeeze and regularly upgrade on a daily basis. The only change to the system I can recall was debfoster run during that period where I deleted some 4 or five libraries.

The only other clues I have are the options, "safely remove usb" and "eject" have disappeared from nautilus (right click).

I recall this happening to me some 2 years ago, but I have mislaid the solution. Searches through google and this list have not yielded the solution.

John