Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

2010/5/26 thib <thib@stammed.net>:
> consul tores wrote:
>> We have lost the posibility to install from disquette, we have to add
>> an initrd, SElinux have been added by default because of Linus, Linus
>> kernels define what to do, and ad infinitum.
>
> Linux is still extremely tweakable, and you are free to build the kernel
> whichever way you want to.  If you can't, maybe a specific distribution of
> it will fit your needs -- the fact that its default configuration doesn't
> [fit] doesn't necessarily mean Linus is evil, but that maybe the general
> needs of most people are shifting.  He doesn't have absolute power over
> everything.

Yes, Linux (kernel) is very tweakable, but normal users are not able
to compile their own kernel; i am more remembering when i could
install using 3 diskettes, and now i can not do it anymore.

If, we consider that the environment has changed; we have Red Hut,
Ubuntu and Suse; pushing to include every thing into the kernel, what
is the best for them, then we have a huge kernel; which is not the
best for older ordenators, but it is the best for newer boxes. As we
can see, Linus is been pushed to built a huger kernel.

If, Debian has a very tested own kernel (Hurd), it should be focused
to its users, who probably are using older hardware, and maybe are not
using non-free software. This is why, i think that having a Debian
kernel, the users could be covered against global decisions.

>> Do you know how BSDs work? Have you try Hurd?

> Are you referring to the BSDs development model?  Anyway, progress on
> kfreebsd *is* impressive, and it indeed looks like it might become a very
> good alternative for Debian in the near future, but I wouldn't say the same
> for the Hurd.  It's actually very interesting, but currently lacks much
> needed traction.

No, not the development model; i am refering to the structure, a
monolitic base system, which is very small and stable.

Yes, i think in the same way, we need to test Hurd in an efective way.
it could help to manage the actual tendency to emulate Windows,
obtaning a sipler/efective/funtional OS. I could be wrong, but it
seems the most of us are prefering stability.

francisco
--
           Consultores Agropecuarios.
Administracion, Produccion, Capacitacion.