Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

Joachim Wiedorn put forth on 5/25/2010 2:37 PM:

> Because I still use LiLO for all my systems, I could support the
> maintaining of LiLO.

Same here.  The last thing I need is for my next distribution upgrade to try
to forcibly remove LILO and the current MBR, and then install Grub2, bricking
my servers in the process.  Or, just as bad, leaving the MBR in tact, but
removing LILO from the system, and thus giving me no way of installing a new
kernel down the road without manually installing/configuring Grub2, which I
have zero experience with, and no guarantee such a process would work.

It all boils down to this:  In my environment, LILO works very well, is not
broken, nor will it be broken in any foreseeable future due to kernel size.  I
use small custom kernels, no initrd, only the drivers built in for the
specific hardware in the box.

If someone can guarantee me that a dist upgrade process where LILO gets
replaced by Grub2 is seamless, and won't brick my systems under any
circumstances, then I might have an open mind on this.  As things stand now,
from everything I've read, I fear replacing LILO with Grub2 during an upgrade.

--
Stan