Re: How do I fsck and XFS file system in "Squeeze"

lrhorer put forth on 5/20/2010 6:09 PM:

>         OK, I'm stumped.  I was having some problems which were likely related
> to the old kernel in Debian "Lenny", so I upgraded to "Squeeze" in
> order to alleviate the issue, which it apparently has.  Now, however, I
> need to fsck the main array on the box, which is formatted as XFS.  The
> xfs-repair utility is not on the upgraded system.  (I was forced to do
> a fresh install of the boot drive.)  How can I obtain the XFS file
> utilities - particularly xfs-repair - under "Squeeze"?

Unless you're seeing XFS errors in your logs or on the console you don't
need to run xfs_check or xfs_repair.  Typically these tools are only used
when an XFS filesytem becomes damaged badly enough that it won't mount, or
when XFS logs serious errors.

For the most part XFS is self healing but for the most serious errors, which
usually result from defective disk and/or controller hardware.  XFS journal
replay after power outages and kernel panics will either delete or zero
files and directories that weren't fully written at the time of the crash,
but the XFS filesystem itself will be fully intact.

What is it that leads you to believe you need to perform a filesystem check
or repair on your XFS filesystem?

--
Stan