Re: Moving a drive to another computer

On 20100519_124653, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> A friend was running windows and the viruses got the best of it. She
> sent me the drive so I could get her pics and documents off of it and
> put 5.0.4 on it and send it back (she's a few states away).
>
> What problems (and solutions) should I be expecting when she installs
> the drive in her computer?  I'm assuming the network setup will be one
> problem.
>
> My background is mainly in FreeBSD.  If a drive is set up as being
> /dev/ad0 and the other machine sees it as /dev/ad4 it won't complete
> the boot, it'll complain with a cannot mount root error.  Will that be
> an issue with Debian?
>
> Thanks!
> Vince.

Since your asking I assume you've never done it before.
Split the job into two separate tasks:
1) Get the pix off.
2) Install 5.0.4

1) install the drive as a second HD on a computer that boots
from the first HD, and explore what is on the drive. Mount your
friend's drive ro (read only). Depending on how many pix you find,
choose an appropriate storage medium to copy pix to.

Then 2) install 5.0.4, which will be much less nerve wracking if you
don't have to worry about losing the pix.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net