Re: Chromium Xperience

 On 05/18/2010 11:23 PM, Kelly Clowers wrote:
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 19:15, KS<lists04@fastmail.fm>  wrote:
Hi all,

I have been an Iceweasel user since it entered Debian repositories. A
few days ago I discovered that Chromium was also available for Debian
and installed it.

I feel it is more responsive and is "faster" than Iceweasel This could
be due to Chromium using different task for every tab it opens and using
its own window decorations (Iceweasel uses GTK+ and I use KDE). Even
with each tab increasing the use of memory by about 30MB, it still feels
faster than Iceweasel. No real tests done here, but Chromium does win
for responsiveness to a casual user.

Being an Iceweasel user with the Adblock+ extension, I'm accustomed to
(almost) adfree web browsing. This hasn't worked as smoothly with
Chromium. There is an Adblock extension available for Chromium, but it
works in a different way that it shows the advertisement while the page
is loading and then hides the element. This is not as clean as Iceweasel
(firefox). In addition, the extension didn't block Google adverts!
Iceweasel takes this round (very important).

And then comes the topic of shortcuts. I love the "/" shortcut for
Iceweasel, Chromium still uses the two-key combination of Ctrl+F!
Another fast shortcut is the Ctrl+Shift+Del which brings up the priate
data delete box. In Chromium one has to go through either preferences or
first History>  Edit Items and then delete.

Chromium was also behaving oddly when playing flash video on full
screen. The video was full screen but behind the browser window!

The Adblock+ advantage with Iceweasel is the one factor which might keep
me away from Chromium unless better adblocking is implemented.

What is the experience of other users who have tested out Chromium in
Debian?
I have the dev build installed. I used it a bit to play with Youtube's
html5 version.
I guess it's kind of fast, but I didn't really notice, although I
didn't feel like using
in a realistic browsing session of mine. I am kind of curious about how it
would work when every session involves reopening 50-120 tabs (which is
normal for me), but I can't tolerate the UI for that long -_-

To the extent I did use it, it worked ok. On one of the dev updates, html5
audio was broken, but I filed a bug and it was soon fixed.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Ive bee using Chrome dev channel version for several months now. I like the fact that each tab has its on process. If one crashed it does not take the whole browser with it. I watch a lot of flash videos on hulu, etc and when flash crashes or I loose audio from flash all I have to do is terminate the flash process from chrome's own task manager and restart the video. I use 2 monitors and when I watch videos on one screen I some time browse the web in another chrome window on the second monitor. I may have many tabs open which I don't want to close just to restart flash when it fails like I would in Firefox. I do use adblock for chrome but I have not seen it do mush for blocking adds.

....Bob