Re: Accelerating directory's content's viewing: how, is directory is huge?

On 05/18/2010 02:15 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Tuesday 18 May 2010 13:16:27 Merciadri Luca wrote:

Hi,

I have many media files in some specific directory (folder, call it as
you want). Loading the folder takes ~30 sec., even if I am using quite
fast HDDs, etc. They're all on the same partition. I have disabled
previewing, or thumbnails.

How can I do to make this process faster?

Don't use a GUI tool that's designed for small subdirectories.

Slow to ls?  reiserfs, xfs, btrfs, or the dir_index option and hash_alg
extended option of ext3.

Is the directory fast to ls, but slow to render in a GUI?  Problem is likely
with the GUI.

Sorry, it is only slow to GUI (nautilus).
How many files?
~25,000.

Don't use Nautilus, or reorganize your directory structure.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?