Re: VLC will lag when reading local videos, whatever the codec

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 20:18:03 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Camaleón writes:
>>
>>> Does this happen if you play the videos with another media player
>>> (Totem, Xine, MPlayer, etc...)?
>
>> Yes. Both take some time to go further in the video. I sometimes have to
>> wait ~5 secs. to get the video start at the asked time, whatever the
>> player: Totem, MPlayer.
>
> Strange. If you haved tested with several video file containers (video
> formats), different audio/video codecs and also using different video
> players and all of them behaves in the same manner... I would suspect
> about the performance of video card.
>
>>> No, but I guess it would depend on many factors, i.e., good hardware
>>> (graphic card chipset) is required to avoid video jumps, lags or
>>> pauses.
>
>> It should not be the hardware, as my graphic card works perfectly under
>> other circumstances. The CPU is also ~0% when testing, so not this too.
>> Same for HDDs.
>
> Yes, but not all video cards perform good when playing HD (or HD ready)
> videos. For instance, Intel cards (the ones you can find embedded into
> the majority of netbooks) are not the most suitable for high quality
> video streaming/playing :-)
Sure, but I am not here on a laptop, and I use an Nvidia GeForce
FX5700. Okay, this is pretty bad for a video card, but it should cope
with such videos.

>>> Also, the transmission method is important. Playing HD video files over
>>> the network (remotely by Internet or locally by means of samba or NFS)
>>> it could also affect. Moreover, playing the video files "wirelessly",
>>> can harden the situation.
>
>> Unfortunately, these are ~50 M videos, sometimes even without any sound,
>> and their quality is not HD, sure. They are read _locally_ so from my
>> local hdd to my screen: no network.
>
> O.k.

>>> Many causes. But if the file plays fine with another player, you can
>>> blame VLC :-)
>
>> I suspect the codecs are problematic. But why would they be so?
>
> Which codecs do you find to be problematic? :-?
> One more question, though... how about a DVD video? It renders the
> same? :-?
> Try with several video files using different video codecs and make some
> performance tests.
DVDs play nicely. It works better with MPEG-1 videos, 30 fps. That is, there
is a lag of ~1 sec. if I go to some specified time in the video. It
works best (i.e. no perceptible lag) with XVID MPEG-4. FLV works
nicely too. Quicktime (.mov) is nice too.

It works pretty bad with Microsoft Windows Media 9 and .mkv.

> Note that every video player uses its own set of codecs (VLC and MPlayer
> at least, Totem maybe uses system-wide a/v installed codecs) so
> performance may vary between them.
Ok.

Thanks.
- --
Merciadri Luca
- --

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. (Ambrose Redmoon)