Re: Any file details on an executable binary file?

On Sex, 14 Mai 2010, Mike Viau wrote:
Hello list,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a package or means to look at any or all of the information from a given executable binary file:

File gives pretty much everything you want:

$ file /bin/ls
/bin/ls: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

- What compiler compiled it

- What (source) language was it compiled from

If the file has debugging symbols there might be a way to retrieve that. If not, in general I'd say it's not possible to determine how was the file created. Some heuristics might detect some compilers and/or languages, but probably it wouldn't work always.

- What computer architecture the file was compiled for

- How many hardware bits was the file intended for (eg. 32-bit or 64-bit encoding)

- Endianness

--
I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get.  :-)
		-- Larry Wall in <10502@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br