Re: libc6 upgrade lenny to squeeze failed, now dpkg is broken

On 5/13/2010 1:51 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-05-12 23:24 +0200, Chris Austin wrote:

I've learned today that when there are circular conflicts while upgrading, e.g.
libcairo2 has to be upgraded to install xulrunner-1.9.1, but upgrading
libcairo2 breaks xulrunner-1.9, it helps to use the dpkg --auto-deconfigure
option before the -i action-parameter, e.g.

dpkg --auto-deconfigure -i libcairo2_1.8.10-4_i386.deb

Then dpkg gives a nice message about considering deconfiguration of
xulrunner-1.9, then decides to do it, and it works, or at least, it has done,
the two or three times I have tried it today.

This is indeed a nice trick to know, but apt would do this for you
automatically.

Not always. Apt depends on the dependency graph being consistent, other than perhaps containing a cycle or two. If the Debian maintainers slip up and screw up the dependencies (or the user is switching back and forth between distributions, say among stable, testing, and unstable), apt can get confused. It has happened to me several times. In such cases, using aptitude sometimes helps. I have also resorted to installing by hand, though this may not have been strictly necessary.

MAA