Re: Automounting problems.

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 01:30:40PM -0700, Bob McGowan wrote:
> On 05/12/2010 02:55 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:54:47PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> >> I am now slapping myself on the head for being so STUPID!  Automount is
> >> working just fine, and has been all along.  Automount does its thing as
> >> soon as a device is ACCESSED, not plugged in.  I was plugging the flash
> >> drives in and looking in /mnt to see if they were showing up.  The
> >> weren't.  The weren't supposed to, either.  As soon as I executed "ls
> >> /mnt/lexar" lo and behold, there was the listing and everything was
> >> working just fine.
> >>
> >> I think I'll slap myself on the head, again.
> >
> > Not so fast! :) How are you supposed to access them if you don't know
> > what they will be labelled as?
> >
> > What does "ls /mnt/<TAB><TAB>" do?
> >
> > Are you supposed to carry round a scrap of paper with the mount labels
> > written down?
> >

> No...
>
> Generally, you set up an auto.xxx file to create a mount point in some
> specific directory that is not /media.  For example, with xxx being 'usb':
>
>  auto.usb: zodiac -fstype=vfat,rw,user,noauto,gid=backup,umask=002 \
>            :/dev/disk/by-id/usb-ROCKCHIP_USB_MP3_USBV1.00
>
> And auto.master:
>
>  /var/autofs/usb /etc/auto.usb --timeout=###
>
> This setup associates the auto.usb file with /var/autofs/usb and the
> device identified by the id with the name zodiac.  The timeout should be
> set to some convenient value.
>
> So, automount will mount that device on /var/autofs/usb/zodiac, when it
> is accessed.

It should be noted that the  --ghost option of automount will create
an appropriate "ghost" directory for the device's mount point. For the
above auto.master stanza you could use:
  /var/autofs/usb /etc/auto.usb --timeout=### --ghost

This can lead to a cluttered /var/autofs/usb directory, however,
unless you do some udev-based scripting to manage things on the fly.

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to