Re: Replace hardware without reinstall debian lenny

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 3:11 AM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 May 2010 01:10:50 Rob Owens wrote:
>>
>> You could use UUID's instead of device names (/dev/sdX) to get around this
>> issue.
>
> There was a thread on this recently, and I think it was said that even UUID's
> can change with changing hardware.  It was suggested, if I remember
> correctly, that the only safe way  to prevent a name change is to label the
> partitions when you first partition the drive and use labels in fstab etc..
>
> I am sure someone will correct me if I have got this wrong, so if noone does
> so I have probably remembered correctly.

I don't remember a thread on debian-user about UUIDs changing with
changing hardware (I could be wrong though!) but there was a thread in
March on ubuntu-users where a guy was duplicating disks for a rollout
and he was convinced that the BIOS of the boxes into which he was
plugging in the duplicated HDs was changing the UUIDs of the disks'
partitions because he was unable to boot from those disks unless he
changed the fstab to use /dev/sdaX devices. I pointed out that the
idea that a BIOS could change a filesystem's superblock didn't make
any sense and that it could not be a UUID problem because he could
boot boxes with Intel mobos but not boxes with another manufacturer's
mobos (I assume that he could have replied that the other mobos were
changing the UUIDs and the Intels ones not...).