Re: How to Find a Printer Driver?

On Monday 10 May 2010 16:17:32 Kent West wrote:
> Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 May 2010 15:36:41 -0500
> > Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Kent,
> >
> >> I tried installing hpijs-ppds, but I still don't see the CM3530
> >> listed; I do now see a Color Laserjet 3550 (without the CM, and not
> >> the 3530), but who knows if that'd work? Not me.
> >
> > In Testing, the CM3530 is listed.  You might try pulling the hplip-data
> > package from there, or wait for it to migrate.
>
> Okay. That scares me. This box used to run Sid, but then one update
> killed my dual-monitor setup, and after about 6 months of fighting
> trying to get it back, I finally rebuilt the box back to stable.
>
> I don't mind pulling in a package or two from Testing, but I'm unsure
> how to do it without doing a wholesale dist-upgrade to Testing.

It's generally referred to as a "mixed" system.  Most "mixed" systems are
neither tested nor officially supported.  They can still be quite useful.

Adding backports as a source is *almost* supported.  Backports is not an
official service for Lenny, but I think there was some work to make it
official for Squeeze or Squeeze+1.

In practice, using stable/backports is _vastly_ superior to trying to use a
mixed stable/testing system.  Unless you've already been playing with pinning,
you should simply be able to add backports to your sources.list.  Only the
packages you specifically request from backports will be installed.

> putting the testing lines below the stable lines so
> the stable will still be the default,

The order the lines appear in the file does not affect what versions of a
package will be installed.  (It *might* affect which mirror is tried first,
but I don't think even that is guaranteed.)

You'll want to look into (man 5 apt_preferences) if you want to run a mixed
system.  I also have some information at
<http://www.iguanasuicide.net/node/4>.

> then running "aptitude update",
> then "aptitude install +testing hpijs-ppds" or something similar. Right?

You should probably know how to do this before you consider moving to a mixed
system.  There's (aptitude -t testing hpijs-ppds) and (aptitude hpijs-
ppds/testing) which seem fairly similar but can do very different things.