Re: colorized ls

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 10:33:23PM +0200, d.sastre.medina@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 04:26:36PM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > What did I update recently that caused me to lose ls coloring with this
> > error message:
> >
> > ls: unrecognized prefix: hl
> > ls: unparsable value for LS_COLORS environment variable
> >
> > How should I fix it?
>
> If you are using system-wide definitions, edit /etc/dir_colors and
> comment the offending line. There should be one.

There is no such file /etc/dir_colors. According to the man page, debian
does not use and ignores both /etc/dir_colors and ~/.dir_colors.

> Also, check the manpage `man dircolors'. You might want to rebuild the
> definitions. Backup /etc/dir_colors before. Better yet, does
> `dircolors -b' contain the offending line causing the error?

'dircolors' uses a precompiled database. It evidently changed recently.
It's in coreutils and that did upgrade today but the changelog doesn't
say anything about it.

Why was it changed? How does one discover info like that?

> I'm guessing you use bash.

Yes.

--
The difficulties which I meet with in order to realize my existence are
precisely what awaken and mobilize my activities, my capacities.