Re: Shutdown problem -- cron job related

> At certain times, seems Friday noontime, I am unable to shutdown the system.
> Instead of the usual scripts to killing all processes, unmounting everything
> and will now halt, goodby, I get:
> process running pstree (or something like that)
> shutdown aborted
> At this point, the system (or at least any console or UI) is dead.

As I recall, pstree is not part of basic installation.
It was put to do some scripting, regarding found, in
perl/python?
My first bet would be to remove offensive cron line and
shutdown normally. Than to do filesystem checks. Next,
to set cron to use pstree as a regular user. I think that
shutdown was done in some parts, aka closed network. What
has to wait, hangs the system.
Otherwise, there is a chance that some housekeeping pro-
cesses are started at noon every day. You could always
look at /etc directory and find them. Some unices have
it in /etc/periodic/daily. It starts with #!/bin/sh.
Another clue may be in /var/log, as a result of newsyslog.conf.
Best regards

                            Zoran