Re: help for a new user

Hi!

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 09:40:52PM +0200, daniele tavella wrote:
> I'm new on Debian. I use Ubuntu 9.04, an I found it easy. I would like
> use Debian, but for internet connection I use an internet key Huawey
> E169, and Debian 5.04 can't manage it.
> I'm not good on computer, but I hope someone helps me.
I don't have Huawei E169 myself and never experienced configuring it under
Debian, but I googled a little and found out that there was same topic in
debian-russian recently. Here's translated (also little shorted and modified)
"recipe for success":

> After installation if this program[1] I configured kppp to work with ttyUSB0
> with all standard options except right initialization strings:
> ATZ;ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0;
> AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","3g.utel.ua"
>
> and also added DNS addresses by Utel. I also added them to /etc/resolv.conf
> and set 'i' attribute for both files by envoking this command:
>
> $ chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
> $ chattr +i /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
>
> ¹ http://www.greenhughes.com/content/huawei-e169g-easy-way

Some notes:

Please pay attention to the name of device - this guy tried to work with
ttyUSB2, which was an error because ttyUSB2 was card-reader or something).

Also note that author configured his device for Utel provider, so initializing
string may differ.

And the last one: it was suggested to install resolvconf package instead of
locking resolv.conf files (you can simply forget that you made this file
not avaliable for editing, which can cause a lot of problems in future).
In addition it was proposed to modify /etc/network/interfaces to look like the
following (it's just a part of file):

inet utel inet wvdial
   dns-nameservers DNS1 DNS2

Hope that will help you.