How to stop Firefox from displaying large favicon?

Greetings;

I have looked for ways to fix this problem several times in the passed few months and have had no success.

Recently several companies have started displaying a large favicon in the address bar when you go to their site. In several cases it takes up over half of the space in the address bar and makes it extremely difficult to read the URL.

One site even claimed that this is a "security feature" as it would enable the users to tell they were really on the bank's site and not some scammer of phisher site. Sure! Like nobody else could figure out how to do that!

Anyway, can anyone tell me how to get rid of these eyesores?
I have already set browser.chrome.favicons and browser.chrome.site_icons to false and browser.chrome.image_icons.max_size to 0, but no difference!

TIA for any help!

Dennis