Re: More acroread printing problems

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 01:57 +0200, deloptes wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 16:41 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> >> Hello, all.  With the appreciate help from this list, we finally learned
> >> we needed to install Acrobat Reader version 9.3.2 from unstable into our
> >> Lenny systems in order for Acrobat to see our CUPS printers.  However we
> >> are still having problems printing anything other than letter size jobs.
> >> It looks like acroread is creating an lpr command using the -o
> >> PageRegion and setting that option incorrectly.  For example, in one
> >> case we saw -o PageSize=11x17 -p PageRegion=Letter which printed the
> >> 11x17 print job on letter sized paper.  On a plotter we saw -o
> >> PageSize=24x36 -p PageRegion=A4 which resulted in the plotter rejecting
>
> you have to use sizes supported by the plotter, no?
Yes, exactly.  We told acroread that the page size was 24x36 - a
supported size.  It sent an A4 size print job.

> >> the job as an invalid page size.  Bypassing the Acroread print command
> >> by using a Custom printer and sending the job to KPrinter works so this
> >> seems to be a clear bug in how Acrobat is reading the PPD file and
> >> creating the print command.
>
> KPrinter or gnome printer have their own rendering engines to translate to
> printer language (as far as I know).
>

> >> Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a workaround? If not,
> >> I suppose I'll need to figure out how one reports bugs for acroread to
> >> Adobe.  Thanks - John
>
> I had a lot of headache years ago. We finally upgraded the firmmemory on one
> of the printers that was printing junk in certain cases. It took about 2
> weeks to find out and a lot of paper. Luckily we had 3 from the same model
> and we noticed on the other 2 one and the same document was printed fine
> but on the 3rd one it was failing. That much on commercial software...

I don't think this is a printer issue as it breaks on each of the
several printers we tried and, when it did not break, it was still
sending the wrong paper size.

> > Oops! typing a little too fast.  That's appreciated help and the
> > PageRegion is preceded by -o and not -p - John
>
> I'm not sure that the AcroReader on the client knows the PPD on the server.
> Did you install on both the same ppd? I'm also not sure that it is using it
> at all to create the printable. I think it's the cups server that can not
> prepare the printable for the printer.
Apparently it does read the PPD.  In fact, we had problems with default
paper sizes.  We had set the default paper sizes via KDE but acroread
was ignoring them.  We needed to edit the actual /etc/cups/ppd/ files to
set the defaults before acroread would use them.

> You can try using the ppds from the plotters manufacturer. This was very
> useful approach in many cases.
We are.

> Also I would try printing the same document from Adobe on Windows or Mac.
>
> regards
Thanks - John