Re: What are my locale settings, for non-terminal apps?

On 5/3/2010 4:39 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
I need to have separate locale settings for my terminal apps, so I
configure that in .bash_profile. I assume that my desktop environment
is using my locale settings from .profile but I'd like to confirm what
those settings are. How can I get the output of locale _not_ from a
terminal (which will source .bash_profile and thus be incorrect)?

Thanks.

I think locale is the same for terminal and non-terminal apps, except you can set locale separately for each separate environment.

echo $LC
echo $LC_MESSAGES
echo $LC_CTYPE
echo $LC_COLLATE
echo $LC_TIME
echo $LC_MONETARY
echo $LC_NUMERIC
echo $LC_PAPER
echo $LC_NAME
echo $LC_ADDRESS
echo $LC_TELEPHONE
echo $LC_MEASUREMENT
echo $LC_ALL

(unset LC_ALL if you need different locales for different things)

echo $LOCALE
echo $LANG
echo $GDM_LANG

In C:

#include <locale.h>
#include <stdio.h>
//
// not tested
//

char *some_locale="C";
if setlocale(LC_MESSAGES,some_locale)
   printf ("messages locale set to %s\n", some_locale);
else
   prinf ("setlocale failed\n");
// .
// .