32000 directories (was Re: overcoming the 32k objects limit ...)

On 04/25/2010 10:04 AM, Siju George wrote:
[snip]

The folder limit was reached some time back.

As a temporary solution some directories were removed .
They will be fitting new drives tomorrow so I guess i will format them
to XFS and use that.

since ext4 also has a limit ans jfs also has a limit of 64000 I guess
I will use XFS which allows 2^32 directories under a directory.

Flat directory structures became obsolete 30 years ago.

So, before migrating to xfs *just because it supports 64000 folders*, ask yourself and the users, "Why the heck do we have 32000 sub-directories in the first place???"

You all should (with some research and planning) be able to reorganize that sprawling flat structure into a significantly nested structure.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?