Re: Updating JRE in Lenny

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:04:00 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:

(...)

> After reloading Iceweasel, about:plugins still showed the previous JRE I
> was using, /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java.
>
> Assuming that I can use a later version of JRE downloaded from Sun on
> Iceweasel 3.5, am I on the right track but did not get the newer version
> set up correctly, or is there a different way?

Just a side note about java/java plugin download from Oracle/Sun site.

Last time I had to install it in that way on a linux system I needed to
make a symlink for the plugin to work in Firefox, as described in the
Installation Guide ("Enable and Configure" section):

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/linux_install.xml#enable

But nowadays, the proper way for setting this should be using "update-
alternatives" as you mentioned above.

What is the output of "update-alternatives --display firefox-
javaplugin.so" command?

Mine shows:

stt008:~# update-alternatives --display firefox-javaplugin.so
firefox-javaplugin.so - el estado es auto.
 el enlace apunta actualmente a /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/amd64/
libnpjp2.so
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so - prioridad 63
Actualmente la «mejor» versión es /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/amd64/
libnpjp2.so.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón