Re: how to control tty to external monitor or local lcd

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 02:31:48 -0400 (EDT), Alexander Samad wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 18:53:46 -0400 (EDT), Alex Samad wrote:

[snip]

> yep external keyboard - does that make a difference !

For most things, no.  But the key combination to switch to the external
monitor requires that special Fn key, which is present only on the internal
keyboard.

> I don;t need to do that, my laptop autoamically picks the external monitor
> if the lid is closed - on boot up

Closing the lid may cause other problems.  Many laptops are set up to
enter suspend or hibernate mode when the lid is closed, unless they are
currently installed in a docking station.  Apparently yours isn't,
but this operating state is one that I'm not familiar with.

yes I know this, what I was trying to say was that, it I start the laptop up with the lid closed and the external monitor attached my console comes up on the external monitor
I would like to find a linux cli or gui app that will let me set it back

[snip]

Maybe it doesn't work on yours because you're not doing it the way
I suggest.  You insist on closing the lid and using an external keyboard.
The key combination to switch to the external monitor may not be
Fn+F7 on your laptop.  Maybe it's Fn+F2.  Consult your hardware documentation.
But there should be a way.  xrandr is an X-specific tool.  I know of no equivalent
tool for the console.  Once you switch to the external monitor with
Fn+F2, or whatever, and have verified that both text mode consoles and
the graphical console are using the external monitor, then try using
the external keyboard.  If everything is still working, then try closing
the lid.
yes I have a fn that is supposed to do it, but doesn't - only way to press the key combo is with the lid up.  I think you are too hung up on the external keyboard - or maybe I have given enough info.

let me try again.

attach laptop to external monitor, leave laptop open
turn on laptop, it boots into X, which is setup to have external monitor and laptop monitor, one above the other.

Console is on the exterenal monitor

remove external monitor

I can reconfigure X with xrandr so that my display is only on the laptop - work well

but when I go to tty1 or 2-6, its not there and pressing fn+fx to switch screens isn't working.

I was hoping that there would be a tool to do it from the command line - something I could do before removing the external monitor.

we have tools to grab the vga info vbetool.

presume all the above is done with out external keyboard :)

If this procedure doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.  You're on your own.
ta

--
 .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :