Re: how to control tty to external monitor or local lcd

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 05:23:02PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:41:53 -0400 (EDT), Alexander Samad wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not familiar with your laptop, but most laptops have a way to switch

[snip]

> I'm talking about an either/or scenario, where by means of a key
> combination on the internal keyboard the monitor is switched to internal
> or external.  Using both monitors simultaneously with different images
> on each one (i.e. displaying a web browser in one window and playing
> solitaire in the other one) is a whole different thing.  If that's what
> you want to do, you're out of my league.  I have no experience with that.
> >
> > But I really wanted to be able to do it from the cmd line !
>
> Well, there's chvt, but that is something completely different.
> That's multiple logical (text-mode) terminals on a single physical
> terminal.

Okay a couple of things, I thing we are talking similiar and dissimiliar
things.

turn on laptop - not connected to ext monitor
loads debian
starts gdm
login
connect to external monitor
use xrandr to move screen to ext monitor
close lid on laptop
use alt+ctrl+f1 to get to tty1

the ext monitor stays on the X screen and the laptop monitors goes to
the tty - but the lid is closed, I want to move the tty to the ext
monitor

hope that clears it up...

Alex