Re: Umont ownership?

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:35:08 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:25:45 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> It would be interesting to see what Camaleón's /etc/fstab file looks
>> like in comparison with yours.  Camaleón, are you listening?  And would
>> you be willing to post your /etc/fstab file?
>
> Yep, here I am.
>
> My "fstab":
>
> ***
> sm01@stt008:~$ cat /etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/sda3       /               reiserfs notail          0       1
> /dev/sda1       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/sdb1	/data/backup	ext3	acl,user_xattr	1	2
> ***

Well, I see three entries with the "user" option, but none of them
appear to be related to mount points for USB devices.  It would appear
that some sort of system daemon with root privileges is issuing the
actual "mount" and "umount" commands.  The hot-plug event causes the
mount; so the system doesn't associate that with any particular user.
(How does it know who plugged the device in?  It doesn't!)  But the
umount is requested by a specific user through a desktop icon.

Perhaps the system daemon that I speak of is D-Bus, and it decides
whether or not to allow the umount depending on what group(s) the
user belongs to.  And his missing /etc/group file is probably the key.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :