how to control tty to external monitor or local lcd

Hi

I have a hp mini, which has a 0:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

I would like to know how I can force ttyX to go to the external monitor and then back to the local lcd.

Also have a problem that if I have my X going to an external monitor and then suspend and re awaken with the laptop not connected to an external monitor I can't get my X session back I have to restart gdm.

alex