Re: Running GNOME with 128 MB RAM - Painfully slow?

Ron Johnson put forth on 4/5/2010 8:55 PM:
> On 2010-04-05 17:40, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Unfortunately there is no option to upgrade the memory on the system.
>>
>> If the problem is acquisition of the memory, then let me know exactly
>> what you need and I will try to snail-mail it to you. My university
>> has a computer-recycling corner and I can dig through there a bit.
>> Memory shouldn't cost me too much to mail.
>>

> Since the CPU is a SoC, I wouldn't be surprised if there were no DIMM slot.

That's how it appears:
http://www.vortex86.com/index2.html

It has a fixed 128MB which is apparently not socketed but soldered to the
board.  I can't completely confirm this as there is no full board picture,
or board diagram, but merely a functional block diagram showing a fixed 128MB.

The board itself is aimed at set top box and other fixed system embedded
applications, not desktop use, thus the explanation for the board's
inflexibility.  Running a full up desktop PC environment was never an
engineering goal for this board.  Quite the opposite.  The engineers planned
for a very limited GUI, such as what you'd find on your TIVO or cable box.

--
Stan