Re: Umont ownership?

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about.  I am familiar with the
> mount and umount commands issued at a shell prompt, but this "right click"
> business I don't understand.  Are you talking about some icon on the desktop,
> such as GNOME or KDE?
when a drive appears automatically mounted on a debian system with
GNOME there is an icon for it on the desktop. a very easy way to
unmount the drive is to right click on it.
this is no longer working properly.

> And what do you you mean you issued chmod?
just some trial and error fixes since i could not find any similar
problems on the net.

> What do file permissions have to do with mounting or unmounting a file system?
my thinking at the time was since i just transfered the contents of
the drive to a new drive then perhaps some permissions for umount were
not working correctly. i thought that if the file was assigned only
for root access then my normal user account could not run the program.
causing the error. i figured that since it was only a permissions
change i could easily set it back if it did not solve the "right
click> unmount" issue.

> You didn't change the file permissions of the mount or umount commands themselves, did you? That shouldn't be necessary.
yes, i did. just to see if it would fix "right click> unmount"