Re: Running GNOME with 128 MB RAM - Painfully slow?

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 08:33:05PM -0700, Tech Geek wrote:
> So I have a very low end system which has 128 MB of RAM and a 486 based x86
> processor. After installing GNOME on Lenny, as soon as I launch firefox,
> opera or any other relatively intensive application the system comes to a
> crawl and becomes slow and sluggish. The system load increase up tp 5, the
> CPU usage also shoots up to 25% and things become painfully slow to operate
> i.e. become less responsive.
>
> Is there some kind of min. system requirements for running GNOME? Are there
> any tricks to make the system more responsive? Would adding swap help? Right
> now my system does not have any swap partition.
>
> Anybody's input who has expereince running GNOME on a low end system like
> this would be helpful.

If the idea is to see what is possible, OK. But if this is to be a
functional computer doing some work, I would suggest booting into the
console.  Screen will give your multiple work areas, elinks is a great
browser, pdmenu reassembles the debian menu items that will work in cli,
mutt is the best email client anyway, wicd-curses is great, snownews,
mplayer-no-gui, cdcd, mc, iptraff, saidar, ethstatus, terminus fonts, .  .
.

The Debian console is a pretty nice place.

There are some programs for framebuffer graphics too.  Then you can put your
system up against the wall from the console when you feel like it. :-)

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/