NOW: Stay away from lshw! WAS: Retrieve hardware and modules info..

With some Google help I figured out how to fix the missing
/var/lib/dpkg/available problem and got lshw removed.  Hopefully there's no
remaining hidden damage on my server.  I don't think I'll ever be messing
with lshw again.  It could be that it expects something my old server
doesn't have, and locks the machine when attempting to probe said
non-existent device.  Regardless, a production level (stable) information
gathering tool should never hard lock a machine, no matter what, nor cause
any kind of damage.  I could understand installing a beta device driver
doing this, but an information gathering tool causing a lockup?

In summary, based on my experience, I'd recommend everyone stay away from
lshw and use dmidecode or other tools instead.  lshw isn't worth the risk.

--
Stan

Stan Hoeppner put forth on 4/4/2010 4:46 PM: