RE: ALSA problem?

> Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 19:06:35 -0400
> From: zlinuxman@wowway.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: ALSA problem?
>
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:00:11 -0400 (EDT), Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> > Stephen Powell wrote:
> >> That can't be right. What's the output of amixer?
> >
> > The udev system recoognized a usb webcam as an audio device
> > (snd-usb-audio) and it becomes soundcard 0 in ALSA's card devices.
> >
> > alsamixer by default uses soundcard 0. See alsamixer(1). Webcams
> > don't have a mixer device.
>
> Aha! Good catch. I missed that. And now the obvious question is,
> "Why?" Why does udev think that that a webcam is a sound card?
> Isn't the right solution to this problem to prevent a webcam
> from being misidentified as a sound card? Changing the priorities
> of multiple sound cards makes sense if there really are multiple
> sound cards, but if there's really only one then why not try to prevent
> the misidentification in the first place?
>
> --
> .''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
> : :' :
> `. `'`
> `-
>

> --

Elimar
Etephen
Krishna
Ron

This message is only to thank everyone who participated helping mer with this issue, and also the whole Debian community.

I'm just amazed about Debian, its performance and its power. I've been using it for a while for desktop tasks keeping me as and endless newbie. However I hope to be helping other as You all do.

Regards and thanks again