"Failed to assemble all arrays" during initramfs

Hi

I've gor the problem that mdadm does not assemble my arrays during
initramfs time. However, when booting with Knoppix I can assemble all my
arrays with mdadm-startall without problem.

During initramfs I get:

(initramfs) mdadm -A /dev/md1 /dev/sd[ab]5
md: md1 stopped.
mdadm: /dev/md1 has been started with 2 drives.
(initramfs) md1: unknown partition table
(initramfs) mount /dev/md1 /root
mount: mounting /dev/md1 on /root failed: No such file or directory

The filesystem cannot be the problem. I can mount it from Knoppix after
assembling the array (from Knoppix).
Also, I load the respective modules early in the boot chain.

The maintainer of mdadm said that it does not have anything to do with
mdadm.

So what could be problem. I am investigating this problem since a long
time and did not find the reason yet...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David