Re: GRUB2 == Non Bootable System

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 19:58:56 -0700, briand wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 17:46:49 -0700
> Scarletdown <scarletdown@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just did a fresh very basic Debian Sid install on my "experimental"
>> system (one hard drive with only a single partition), basic install
>> meaning console only and just the following packages: ssh, mc, samba,
>> elinks, sudo, and ClamAV.
>>
>> After all the packages were installed, I ran apt-get dist-upgrade. This
>> replaced GRUB 1.5 with GRUB 2. A reboot showed no problems, so I then
>> gave the upgrade-from-grub-legacy command followed by the removal of
>> the old unused /boot/grub/menu.lst just as the upgrade suggested.
>>
>> A reboot now gives me:
>>
>> GRUB Read Error
>> Operating system not found
>>

> I had this problem not too long ago and the recovery was relatively
> painful.  You basically have to boot into rescue, download the
> appropriate packages and then re-install either grub or lilo.  I highly
> recommend lilo.
>
> There is a web-page somewhere that goes through this in detail - I'm
> sorry but I just can't seem to find it.
>
> I'm relatively certain I found the link to it somewhere in the debian
> bugs for one of the grub packages.
>

>  Brian

I make sure I can always boot from a floppy disk -- usually one I've told
lilo to boot from when I ran lilo -v.  This is quite independent of grub.

But too late for you, now.

There's also the Super Grub Boot Disk, which you can download from
somewhere and copy to a floppy.  I think it contains all the grub things
you need to boot (the ones it usually gets from wherever they hide out on
your hard drive), and it's possible to edit its menu.list  that's also on
it.

-- hendrik