RE: ALSA problem?

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:19:09 -0400 (EDT), Oscar Corte wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Reason: Internal GStreamer error: state change failed.
>>> Please file a bug at
>>> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer.
>>>
>>> Totem movie player plays video without any sound at all.
>>>
>>> However, I can use cdcd play to CD's with no problem at all from the
>>> command prompt.
>>>
>>> Debian reference suggests to use speaker-test which gives the next
>>> result:
>>>
>>> speaker-test 1.0.16
>>>
>>> Playback device is default
>>> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
>>> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
>>> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
>>> Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory
>>>
>>> What should I do next in order to fix sound?
>>
>> Well, for starters, how about telling us the following:
>>
>> (1) Make and model of your computer
>> (2) Make and model of your sound card, including sound chipset, if known
>> (3) What release of Debian are you running (Lenny, Squeeze, etc.)
>> (4) What packages are installed that start with "alsa"
>> (5) What kernel modules are loaded that begin with "snd"
>> (6) What columns labels are shown by alsamixer? (scroll left and right
>> with arrow keys, exit with Esc)
>>
>> I have an idea what this might be, but I don't want to make a wild
>> guess.  Let's start with the basics.
>>

> Sorry for nor providing the required
> information. It's is listed next:
>
>> (1) Make and model of your computer
>        Dell XPS T600 (Pentium III 600 Mhz.) (Very old)
>
>> (2) Make and model of your sound card, including sound chipset, if known
>        Creative Audi PCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
>
>> (3) What release of Debian are you running (Lenny, Squeeze, etc.)
>        Lenny 4.1.2-25 up to date through Synaptics
>
>> (4) What packages are installed that start with "alsa"
>        alsa-base, alsa-utils
>
>> (5) What kernel modules are loaded that begin with "snd"
>        snd_ens1371            19072  0
>        snd_ac97_codec         88452  1 snd_ens1371
>        snd_usb_audio          70272  1
>        snd_pcm_oss            32800  0
>        snd_mixer_oss          12320  1 snd_pcm_oss
>        snd_pcm                62660  4 snd_ens1371,snd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss
>        snd_usb_lib            13472  1 snd_usb_audio
>        snd_hwdep               6212  1 snd_usb_audio
>        snd_seq_dummy           2660  0
>        snd_seq_oss            24992  0
>        snd_seq_midi            5728  0
>        snd_rawmidi            18496  3 snd_ens1371,snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
>        snd_seq_midi_event      6432  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
>        snd_seq                41456  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
>        snd_timer              17800  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
>        snd_seq_device          6380  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
>        snd_page_alloc          7816  1 snd_pcm
>
>> (6) What columns labels are shown by alsamixer? (scroll left and right ...
>        Auto Hain Control [Off], Mic[dBgain=9.00]
>

> Thanks a lot for your help. I really
> appreciate it. As far as I remember sound used to work.

Where do I start?  Well, for starters, please don't top post.  We use the usenet style of
quoting here.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting for more details.  I spent
more time reformatting your message than I will in answering your post.  Please don't
do that to us.  It is annoying.

Second, what kind of Fourier transform did you do on your data?  Reconstructing the output
of lsmod in a recognizable format consumed a fair amount of time too.

OK, enough about logistical issues and on to the problem.  First of all:

>> (3) What release of Debian are you running (Lenny, Squeeze, etc.)
>        Lenny 4.1.2-25 up to date through Synaptics

That doesn't sound right.  Are you perhaps running Ubuntu, or some other Debian-based
distribution, and not Debian itself?

>> (6) What columns labels are shown by alsamixer? (scroll left and right ...
>        Auto Hain Control [Off], Mic[dBgain=9.00]

Are you saying that this one column is the only column?  There's no column marked PCM?

> As far as I remember sound used to work.

When did it work?  When you used to run Windows?  When you were running an earlier
release of Linux?  Be more specific.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :